Release Date: July 8th, 2005.
Written by: Neil Marshall.
Directed by: Neil Marshall.
Starring: Shauna Macdonald, Natalie Mendoza, Saskia Mulder, MyAnna Buring, Alex Reid, and Nora-Jane Noone.
I'm not sure why we've never reviewed The Descent before now; after all, we reviewed the embarrassingly bad The Descent 2 (review HERE), so you figure that we would have at least take the time to review it's far-superior predecessor. It must have just slipped by us somehow.
|GREAT FRIENDS YOU'VE GOT THERE, SARAH.|
|NOT OUR IDEA OF A PARTY, BUY HEY, DIFFERENT STROKES...|
Then, the blind mongoloidal crawlers come, fall upon them, and begin to eat them.
The claustrophobic battle to survive the crawlers and all sorts of girl drama has begun!
|"IT'S RIGHT BEHIND ME, ISN'T IT?'|
The crawlers made for a pretty terrifying menace, although the movie really also gains a lot from the undercurrent of Psychological Horror that runs throughout; by the time the movie ends, there's a chance that some of (or everything) that we've just watched was nothing more than hallucinations that Sarah was having. Debate that back and forth all you like, but the one thing that can't be debated is that the way things play out is just about as effective as it gets in this type of movie.
|THIS IS WHY WE DON'T EXPLORE UNDERGROUND CAVE SYSTEMS.|
We fall on the "most of it happened as we saw it" side, because there were scenes not involving Sarah where characters saw, acknowledged, and fought the crawlers. We do believe though that she was off of her meds, and that she did hallucinate a few things. Especially that ending scene.
|WE MAY NEVER KNOW FOR SURE.|
- She slept with Sarah's husband, which precipitated the accident which killed he and his daughter, and left Sarah a traumatized mess.
- She organizes a cave exploring trip for her and her "extreme" friends, and she lies to them about where they're going. Instead of going to the safe place that they had planned on, she leads them to a "new system" of caves that has never before been explored, which kills any hope for rescue, because no one knows that they're there.
- When she's confronted about her lie, she gets all defensive, stating that the place that they were supposed to go was "A tourist trap" and how "We always said if there's no risk, there's no point!"
- "It's a new system. I wanted us all to discover it!"
- Then, not only has she basically doomed her friends to death, but she actually kills one of them herself. I know, I know "But that was an accident!" right? Yeah, well six people are dead because of her "accidents," so that's really no consolation.
Nice going, you stupid bitch.
|PUNCH HER RIGHT IN THE MOUTH!|
|YEAH, THERE'S NO SHORTAGE OF GORE IN THIS ONE.|
|OH, MYANNA, NOW YOU'RE JUST TEASING US.|
|BEST FRIENDS FOREVER! (WHICH IS ABOUT 90 MINUTES OR SO FROM NOW)|
It really is one of the best Horror offerings to come out of the New Millennium, and one that every Horror fan should experience at least once... just make sure you see the Unrated Original Cut, as too much is left out of the regular version, specifically towards the end.
The Descent is available now on Blu-ray, DVD, and VOD.