October 7, 2009

The 31 Days of Horror- #25

"The first Nord slasher flick, and a great example of how remaking J-horror is not so easy..."

The Hidden Gem:
The Master says: I was really impressed by this movie. Shot at the top of Jotunheimen mountain in Norway, it's all pretty breathtaking too look at, as well as being isolated and creepy for the characters. I love the actors in this one too, especially the final girl Jannicke. She is pure cuteness, and pretty tough. The killer is hulking and brutal, and moves like a freight train filled with hate and death. I like how they handled his "origin" too, which was a pretty creepy concept in its own right. I say find and love this movie if you can. Thank you, Norway.


The Train Wreck:
The Master says: I love Jennifer Connelly. LOVE her. That's why it pains me to hate this movie, because I feel bad for her. It's rare for Hollywood to be able to pull of a J-Horror/Asian Horror remake and do it well (The Ring, for example), as most of the time the atmosphere and slow build are replaced by jump scares and tricky visuals that can't get the job done on their own. Dark Water fails to deliver on the scares of the Japanese original, instead giving us a nice family drama and wasting the time of a great cast.

No comments :

Post a Comment