October 28, 2009

The 31 Days of Horror- #4


"A bloody coming of age story, and possible proof that Rob Zombie is a one dimensional hack..."

The Hidden Gem:
The Master says: Lat Den Ratte Komma In is sweet, disturbing, sad, brutal, beautiful, shocking and an overall inspired film. I dare say that it's a work of art. Everything seemed perfect to me when I watched it; from the camera work, to the story; the mood, to the acting. This was a vampire movie, and it had a ton of horror elements to it, but I didn't feel like I was watching a horror movie at all... It's amazing to me how a Horror movie made in 2008 can be as effective as it is brilliant and not have jump scares, quick cut scares, lame characters, nonsensical situations, a twist ending, a jump cut quick scare twist ending... oh wait, this wasn't made in Hollywood. Then again it's not totally Hollywood's fault; American audiences are fairly dumb to begin with... That's why we'll have Saw 14 eventually. Horror flick, love story, coming of age story, vampire movie... Let the Right One In is all of those, and more. You really need to see it to understand.

 
The Train Wreck:
The Master says: I give a lot of leeway with my Horror watching; I love some less than stellar movies for many different reasons, and I'm always willing to let some shit go and enjoy the meat of an otherwise poor movie, but this one just hurt. I think It hurt because I love Zombie and his work so much. What's bad about it? The story, the dialogue, the random excuses for Michael to kill, the mostly poor acting, the evolution of some of the characters... So about 75% of the movie. A frigging white horse? Dream sequences? Angel? This movie shits on the brand name of Halloween far worse than most people think that Halloween III: Season of the Witch does. At least that one was goofy fun... In all reality, it's as much of a "Do Not Want" as I've seen in years. Either way, I won't watch it again, and I advise you to avoid it too, if only to save your eyes the pain.

 

1 comment :

  1. Let the Right One In is an absolutely brilliant movie. It single-handedly restored credibility to a genre that had descended into parody (e.g. "Lesbian Vampire Killers") and ridiculous melodrama (e.g. the "Underworld" series).

    ReplyDelete