October 11, 2009

The 31 Days of Horror- #21

"A bad-ass alien invasion, and a werewolf flick with absolutely no bite..."

The Hidden Gem:
The Master says: If the title of this movie doesn't make you think "Syfy Original" then you're lying. I know I thought it would be a crap-fest from the word go, but boy was I wrong. This is a movie that is tense, gory, fun, and managed not to do the one thing that MANY, MANY, MANY low budget Sci-Fi/Horror movies do all the time; insult my intelligence and piss me off. I don't know how some low budget films "get it", and some don't; if you do it right, you don't need a ton of money to make a great movie, and Alien Raiders is proof of that.


The Train Wreck:
The Master says: It hurts me to bash Wes Craven, especially since his true version of this movie was jacked around by the wonderful folks at Miramax, but this movie leaves me no choice. This movie was plagued with problems from the word go; script issues, delays, stoppages, re-shoots, re-casting some of the main characters... and it showed in the final product. It's not scary, most of the blood and gore was cut out of it, Pacey from Dawson's Creek is in it... I would have really liked to have seen the original uncut vision that Wes Craven had for this movie, but this version can just go away and stop bothering me.

1 comment :

  1. I too enjoyed Alien Raiders a lot more than I thought I would. The title and marketing screamed Sci-Fi channel original picture, but that is rather misleading.

    ReplyDelete