October 19, 2009

The 31 Days of Horror- #13

Unlucky number 13!

A twisted, twisted story about bad parenting, and Lovecraft gone gay...

The Hidden Gem:
The Master says: This is an F'ing sick and twisted movie, and I don't ever want to see it again. If the goal of a horror movie is to disturb us, freak us out, make us say "what the f**k" to the screen multiple times, then cry ourselves to sleep afterward, this movie hits the mark. From about 25 minutes in, this move pours on the dread and tension, and maintains it throughout the rest of the movie... I'm serious when I say I had a constant grimace on my face throughout this one, and for a while after. I remember feeling dirty after seeing Inside last year, and this one made me feel downright filthy.


The Train Wreck:
The Master says: HP Lovecraft created a fantastic mythos with Cthulhu and the Ancient Ones which has yet to be captured properly on film. Not only did this movie suck at representing the work of HP Lovecraft, but the producers made the main character gay to show how horrific it is to be gay in a small town? Keep your politics out of Horror please, or at least make a good, compelling movie that's actually about what it's supposed to be about, and then add the gay suffrage crap in after. This movie was slow, boring, devoid of any kind of tension... What an absolute butchering of the name Cthulhu and of the work of HP Lovecraft.

6 comments :

  1. Ugh, yes... why can't they get it right when it comes to H.P. Lovecraft?! Dagon wasn't too bad, but this one... no.... I won't even go there, it just sucked.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness...I can't decide whether or not I want to see Baby Blue now. It's got me intrigued, but the conclusion of Inside made me feel terrible....decisions, decisions....

    ReplyDelete
  3. You owe it to yourself to see Baby Blues. If it wasn't for this site I wouldn't have heard of this gem! Well played...sans the needless ending, this was brilliantly chilling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baby is a very tough one to watch, but definitely one that hard core horror fans like us need to see. Go for it Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am preparing for a night of Baby Blues, Baby Blood, Grace and Orphan. And I already don't want any children.

    Speaking of Lovecraft... is there ANY movie that captures the atmosphere in the writing? Ignoring the movies that just animate the text, I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No movie has captured Lovecraft atmosphere, though I do love Re-animator and From Beyond.

    If Guillermo Del Toro ever does "At the Mountains of Madness", I might believe it could be pulled off properly then...

    ReplyDelete