There have been so many great Horror and Genre movies released between 2000-2015, that even if there were 100 days in October, there would be plenty of excellent movies left by the wayside. Our list is going to be comprised of the 31 Horror movies that have had the biggest impact on us since the turn of the century, as well as the Genre in general. Mostly us, though. We promise that we'll try to be a objective as possible with our choices.
What has the 00's & 10's given us, Horror-wise? Well...
- The New French Extremity movement gave us some ultra-violent classics for the modern age.
- Foreign Horror in general has stepped up its game, and seems to consistently turn out better movies than their U.S. counterparts.
- In many ways, Indie Horror has outdone big-budget Hollywood productions in the same way.
- Teen Horror became the new Slasher Flick.
- Torture Porn became a thing.
- Found Footage became an even bigger thing.
- 3-D, unfortunately, also became a thing.
- With the popularity of The Walking Dead, zombies seem to be the biggest thing in Horror right now.
- Remakes, for better or worse, came back stronger than ever.
- CGI largely replaced Practical FX in bringing movie monsters to light.
The past decade and a half has also given us some fantastic movies to enjoy, which above and beyond everything else, is really the important thing. After all, we do live and breathe this stuff.
So let's get ready to celebrate the best of those movies with The 31 Days of Horror, and let's have the creepiest October ever!