October 24, 2008

The 31 Days of Horror- #8

The best vampire ever, some bad-ass werewolves, Satanico Pandemonium, and some British "zombies"...


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The 70's
Salem's Lot (1979)- This is quite possibly my favorite Horror movie ever (although that's way too tough to call), and it was only a TV mini series! Something about the Vampires in this movie just terrifies me; I think they look perfect. It has to be the creepy eyes. Anyways, this is a Class-A Vampire story, with the coolest Vampire ever in it: Barlow, a.k.a. The Master... he is our Website's mascot after all! Dracula is the man, but he just never inspired fear in me the same way that Barlow did... I can't recommend this one enough, so check it out... and beware little Vampire kids scratching at your window!

The 80's
The Howling (1981)- For our money this is the best Werewolf movie ever made! The first time I saw this, I was about 12 years old; I remember the transformation scenes being the best I'd ever seen, and they still are today. The Werewolves said all sorts of cool things too, like "Silver bullets my ass!" or "Come on bright boy, give it your best shot" which made my 12-year-old mind geek out. What a great flick... in fact, I'm going to watch it now!

The 90's
From Dusk Till Dawn (1996)- Pulp Fiction with vampires? Sign me up! Clooney rules in this movie, and Salma Hayek is SCORCHING HOT as a slutty Vampire pole dancer... This movie also has one of my favorite lines in movie history "I may be a bastard, but I'm not a fucking bastard." Bloody, witty, action packed and surprisingly dramatic, this is more of a fun Vampire movie than it is creepy or horrific, but it's a hell of a ride, and one of the best of the 90's.

The 2000's
28 Days Later (2002)- A Zombie film of a different sort... The thought of waking up in England, alone, streets deserted, only to find that a massive infection has turned everyone else into stark raving mad beserkers that hate you, is a crazy fun premise. This movie lays a thick dose of tension on you from the get-go and doesn't let up until then end, and that's something that's missing from many Horror movies these days; they just don't know how to engage the audience quite like this. Are FranceSpain and Great Britian the last hope for Horror? Judging by movies like this, they just may be.

See you tomorrow with #7...

No comments :

Post a Comment