October 14, 2008

The 31 Days of Horror- #18

Creepy mannequins, the Tarman, a creepy fetish couple, and a perfect zombie remake...


#18

The 70's
The Tourist Trap (1979)- I recently did a RCR Review of The Tourist Trap here on the blog, and I'm still shaking... ok, maybe not literally, but It's honestly that kind of a creep-fest. This is a rare movie that just seems to get everything right, and does so on a budget of what I'm guessing had to be $78. There is something about mannequins/dolls/dummies moving by themselves and talking that is seriously eerie, and with the way most 70's horror flicks looked and felt so dirty and grimy, it just makes things worse in this case. Check this hidden gem out, and do it alone... in the dark.

The 80's
Return of the Living Dead (1985)- I hate to admit this, because I don't want to shame such legends as Romero and Fulci, but this may be my favorite zombie movie ever. Maybe it's because it came out when I was in middle school, and had more of an impact on me, but I'd like to think it's just that the movie rocks. This movie was definitely more tongue-in-cheek than anything else, but it didn't ever come across as all that comedic to me. The Tarman may be the coolest zombie ever; "Brains... more brains!" God what a great movie.

The 90's
The People Under the Stairs (1991)- Finally! It took master of horror Wes Craven to give us a cool Horror movie with a decent budget, that has black protagonists that don't die within the first 20 minutes of the movie! Thanks Wes. This is a great Horror flick, mixing dark humor with a pretty creepy storyline, and honestly, isn't all that far fetched. I fully believe that there are people in this country that run around in gimp masks and keep mongoloid children under their stairs... Then again, I'm pretty gullible. Anywho, this is a fun Horror flick, and one of the last good ones that Wes Craven made, along with New Nightmare and Scream.

The 2000's
Dawn of the Dead (2004)- I know, I know, another remake... but wait, it gets worse; this one is even better than the TCM remake I talked about yesterday! Romero is a Horror God among men, we all know this, and Dawn of the Dead (1978) is widely considered to be his masterpiece; that being said, this remake does the original great justice. The zombies are quicker, and it's got a much darker tone to it, and from beginning to end, this movie rocks. You want to see a CRAP remake, I invite you to rent the new versions of The Hitcher, The Fog, When a Stranger Calls, or Prom Night (to name a few.) If you want to see a good remake that won't make you want to punch your TV screen, then go grab a copy of this.

See you tomorrow with #17...

No comments :

Post a Comment