December 5, 2008

Review: Tremors (1990)

Sub-Genre- Creature.
In Attendance- Me, Geo, Machine and Chris.
Cast Members of Note- The Uber cool Kevin Bacon, Remo Williams, The Dad from "Family Ties", and Reba McEntire.

Basically, some of the worms from Frank Herbert's Dune escaped Arakis and went to hide on Earth, where they thought that feeding on a bunch of rednecks would be way better than dealing with Sting and Kyle MacLachlan's namby-pamby whining. Good call worms, good call.

Nice try, Dunecat.
Anywho, the worms attack a small town, and it's up to Footloose, Remo Williams and Family Ties Dad to save everyone. Even Reba McEntire chips in by singing "Fancy", which actually kills one of the Dune Worms! I guess that country music actually can destroy anything! I won't spoil the ending for you here here, but suffice it to say that by the end of this one, you'll be tapping your feet too.

"Here's your one chance Fancy, don't let me dowooown..."
What isn't good about Tremors? It made the top 20 of the 80's in our 31 Days of Horror countdown, and for good reason; it just plain rocks! It's not very scary, and it really does boast only B-grade movie stars (save for the Baconator), but they all rock, and they manage to pull off something that most Horror movies can't; they let you have fun without cringing. Also, there's a decent amount of gore for the type of movie that it is, and that's never a bad thing.

I also realized that Kevin Bacon has been in some pretty good genre films over his career; Friday the 13th, Hollow Man, Tremors, Stir of Echoes, Flatliners... not bad at all, Kevin.

"Yes... we... did... shoot it in space!"
I kept waiting for Kevin Bacon to yell something like "We're so screwed... so let's dance!" Guess what? It didn't happen.

Someone's wishing they could get a lil' Footloose right about now...
Even though most Country Music tends to make me cringe, I found myself actually liking Reba and her whole country "thang" after watching this movie. I can't believe I just said that.

"Jesus H. Christ, is that Garth Brooks?"
All sorts of exploding mutant worms and stuff... good times. It's amazing what an elephant gun can do when used properly.

We have wormsign.
No, but at least we didn't have to see Kevin Bacon's weenie again. *Wild Things.

She's in this, but WAY too young to be naked.
Oh for the love of God Dunecat, we know already!
Kevin Bacon rules. Also, Hillbillies who stockpile weapons are awesome friends to have. Also, I'm going to go download some Reba McEntire songs now... and Dunecat is a little rascal!

As Kevin Bacon whispered "Hay, let's get Hoofloose" into her ear, Butternut could feel what little dignity she had left leave her body, never to return.
This is a fun little throwback to 50's/60's horror that needs to be seen by all whom call themselves horror fans. It's fun, funny, gross, and it has Kevin Bacon as one of the heroes... So you obviously need to own it and love it!

A

Tremors is available now on Blu-ray, DVD, and VOD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DNUSG0U/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B00DNUSG0U&linkCode=as2&tag=thehorclu0a-20&linkId=7EEABRXR3BB3Y73H

"Let's dance!"

2 comments :

  1. One of my favourite films! By all means this should have been one of those B movies that I forgot existed an hour after watching it, yet I have alywas had fun watching it. And I did watch it several times. Could it be that the script of the film is deceptively good, or is it the acting and directing that does it? I can't quite put my finger on it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. one of the funniest and most pleasant adventure-monster-horror moviea I have ever seen! and Remo Williams is my favourite!!

    ReplyDelete