October 18, 2008

The 31 Days of Horror- #14

The creepiest prank caller ever, dead pets, space demons, and zombies vs. high society...


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The 70's
When a Stranger Calls (1979)- This movie may contain the best beginning and ending to a horror movie ever. The phrase "Have you checked the children?" still lingers in the halls of Horror legend, and I dare you to watch that scene and not poop/pee or poop+pee yourself (figuratively, of course.) This 1979 classic is leaps and bounds beyond the dreadful remake that came out in 2006; and if you think the remake was better, Horror just isn't meant for you. Do yourself a favor and see this one if you like a good atmospheric cat-and-mouse type of Horror flick.

The 80's
Pet Sematary (1989)- After seeing this movie, I realized two things; trying to bring your loved ones back to life via creepy magic isn't the best idea, and cats really would kill us all if they had their way. Another of the 500 Stephen King movies from the 80's, Pet Sematary is one of his most disturbing... I mean a guy loses his cat, his kid and his wife by the end of the movie, the worst part of all is that he brings them back to life only to find that they aren't quite the same anymore... "Sometimes dead is bettah." Damn right Fred Gwynn, damn right.

The 90's
Event Horizon (1997)- I think I'm going to take a ton of crap for ranking this movie so high, but I can't help but love it. Mankind finally masters space travel, but when they try to create an artificial black hole to bridge space and time, they unwittingly open a gateway to hell. This movie is creepy and definitely gory, although I would have liked to have seen the original 130 minute cut because it's rumored to have been way bloodier... either way, this movie is like Alien meets Prince of Darkness. I don't get why many people panned Event Horizon; I think it's well made and pretty damn effective, and definitely worth a look see.

The 2000's
Land of the Dead (2005)- Romero's 4th "Dead" movie is one of those movies that if it's on cable when I flip by, I have to stop and watch the rest of it. I don't know why, but it feels comfortable to me. It's definitely the most polished out of the "dead" movies, so maybe that's it? I think at this point in my life, and in Romero's career, I just trust him and feel safe in his movies arms... That being said, Diary of the Dead sucked ass, and you should really spend your time on LOTD instead of it. I don't want to say it's classic Romero, but it feels like it is to me.

See you tomorrow with un-lucky #13...

No comments :

Post a Comment