October 20, 2008

The 31 Days of Horror- #12

The worst X-mas ever, some fog on the moors, gay vampires, and some rock-climbing women...


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

The 70's
Black Christmas (1974)- Bob Clark gave us so many good movies; Porky's, A Christmas Story, Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, and this, one of the first and best "Slasher " flicks. This is a pretty great movie for being 25 years old, and one of the first to give us the "sorority girls being picked off one by one" angle; also, this movie did the whole "caller in the house" thing first too. It's not very bloody, but it's fairly creepy and a bit demented, and worth having in any Horror collection.

The 80's
An American Werewolf in London (1981)- This is my second favorite Werewolf movie ever, although many say it's the best. Either way, it's an amazing movie, with some of the best transformation FX you'll ever see. Kinda comedy, mostly Horror, this movie is just plain old fun, and it has its creepy moments too. You really should own this one, or at the very least, see it as soon as possible.

The 90's
Interview With the Vampire (1994)- Despite the massive homosexual overtones in this movie, I find myself loving it. Don't get me wrong, I'm down with the gays, but I'm just not used to seeing the subject matter explored in Horror movies. It was an especially bold move for Hollywood in the 90's. I think this is pretty much a classic Vampire story; the romantic aspect, plenty of blood and biting, drama, intrigue... and Tom Cruise before he went bat-shit crazy! I wasn't a fan of the books, or the crap sequel, but his one is the goods.

The 2000's
The Descent (2005)- A bunch of chicks that decide to go cave exploring get trapped far underground and are set upon by a bunch on mongoloid mutants... how can you not love that? This movie is dark, and at times hard to see, but it's really effective and worth straining your eyes for. It was a pretty fresh idea in a decade where remakes seem to rule the Horror world, and I'm glad they're making a sequel. *Addendum: the sequel ended up really sucking bad.

See you tomorrow with #11...

1 comment :

  1. Black Christmas...on my top ten fav horror films. I owned the Decent at least a year before it was released..it truly creeped the hell out of me and I really think making a sequel to this is a big mistake..come on...my copy has only the one ending and it was grim and fitting..they are all dead and they should leave it that way!

    ReplyDelete