Being that Return of the Living Dead is one of our favorite Horror flicks of all time, we already own it on Blu-ray. Of course the version we own is pretty plain and bare-bones, so the idea of upgrading to a Collector's Edition of the movie that boasts a new 2K scan and a ton of awesome bonus features is absolutely fine with us.
It's sharp, new transfer looks way better than the old MGM disc, which actually looked pretty good in its own right; it looks vibrant like it never has before, almost as if it were a brand new movie in some parts. The audio is solid too, with a DTS 5.1 and 2.0 Master Audio options, but it's the 2.0 Mono track that shines, as it recreates the theatrical experience almost perfectly.
Aside from the movie itself, the real draw of this Blu-ray is its Special Features. There are zombie subtitles, interviews, and supplements galore, all of which are entertaining, but on Disc 2 of this set, Scream Factory has included a copy of the Documentary, More Brains: A Return to the Living Dead, which is the best of them all. This Horror Doc is every bit as good as the movie is, albeit in a completely different way, and it's worth the price of admission alone. As a Bonus Feature, it's stellar. In fact, we watched it before the movie this time, and it made for an extra cool experience.
Like the move itself, it's A+ material.
- NEW 2K Scan Of The Interpositive.
- NEW Audio Commentary With Gary Smart (Co-author Of The Complete History Of The Return Of The Living Dead) And Chris Griffiths.
- Audio Commentary With Director Dan O'Bannon And Production Designer William Stout.
- Audio Commentary With The Cast And Crew Featuring Production Designer William Stout And Actors Don Calfa, Linnea Quigley, Brian Peck, Beverly Randolph, Allan Trautman.
- The Decade Of Darkness – Featurette On '80s Horror Films (23 minutes.)
- Theatrical Trailers.
- TV Spots.
- Still Gallery – Posters, Lobby Cards, Movie Stills And Behind-The-Scenes Photos.
- Still Gallery – Behind-The-Scenes Photos From Special Make-up Effects Artist Kenny Myers' Personal Collection.
- Zombie Subtitles For The Film.
- In Their Own Words – The Zombies Speak.
- NEW The FX Of The Living Dead With Production Designer William Stout, FX Make-up Artists William Munns, Tony Gardner, Kenny Myers And Craig Caton-Largnet, Visual Effects Artists Bret Mixon And Gene Warren Jr. And Actor Brian Peck (Expanded Version) (30 minutes.)
- NEW Party Time: The Music Of The Return Of The Living Dead With Music Consultants Budd Carr And Steve Pross And Soundtrack Artists Dinah Cancer (45 Grave), Chris D (The Flesh Eaters), Roky Erickson, Karl Moet (SSQ), Joe Wood (T.S.O.L.), Mark Robertson (Tall Boys) Plus Musicians Greg Hetson (Circle Jerks) And John Sox (The F.U.'s, Straw Dogs) (Expanded Version) (30 minutes.)
- NEW HORROR'S HALLOWED GROUNDS – Revisiting The Locations Of The Film
- The Return Of The Living Dead Workprint – Includes 20 minutes Of Additional Footage (In Standard Definition.)
- More Brains: A Return To The Living Dead – The Definitive Documentary On The Return Of The Living Dead (120 minutes.)
- A Conversation With Dan O'Bannon – His Final Interview (28 minutes.)
- The Origins Of The Living Dead – An Interview With John A. Russo (16 minutes.)
- The Return Of The Living Dead – The Dead Have Risen – Interviews With Cast Members Clu Gulager, James Karen, Don Calfa, Brian Peck, Thom Mathews, Beverly Randolph, Linnea Quigley And More… (21 minutes.)
- Designing The Dead – Interviews With Writer/Director Dan O'Bannon And Production Designer William Stout (15 minutes.)
This is a MUST OWN title for us, and it should be for you too.