October 19, 2014

31 Days of Creepy Scenes, #13: "Put on these glasses!"

They've given us nightmares, given us chills, made us cringe, made us  laugh, made us gag, and made us stare at the screen in awe: these are  the scenes that pop into our minds when we think of great Horror Films, and we love them all.

*We recommend that if you've never seen these scenes before, that you experience them for the first time unspoiled in the movies that they come from, if you can. With that in mind, we'll try to be as  spoiler-free as possible while discussing them; try, being the key word here.

It's kinda funny that one of our all-time favorite scenes from a Horror movie is a fight scene, because let's face it; the Horror Genre isn't particularly know for its fight scenes.

John Carpenter had a magical run of fantastic movies in the 80's, which was capped off by They Live in 1989. They Live is basically the story about how the 1% of the wealthiest and most powerful Americans are Aliens who keep the rest of us 99% under control via subliminal messages in the media. The only way to see through their "illusion" is to don a special pair of sunglasses, which allows the wearer to see the world in "black & white," or for what it is.

Carpenter was obviously making a statement here, and he was just about dead on.

The famous scene in questions involves Nada (played by Rowdy Roddy Piper's), trying to get his co-worker (Frank) to put on a pair of the glasses, so that he too can see what's been hidden from his eyes for so long. Of course when Frank tells Nada to piss off, he isn't having it... and so the two come to blows. For over six minutes.

That's definitely the best fight scene to ever appear in a Horror movie, and it's also one of the best fight scenes to appear in any movie, ever. It's just so raw, and it feels like it goes on forever, that it becomes instantly classic, and forever memorable.

They Live may be more of a satire than it is a true shocker, but it's still one of Carpenter's best, and definitely one of his most fun efforts.


No comments :

Post a Comment