November 18, 2008

Solo Review: Let the Right One In (2008)

Sub-Genre- Vampires/Teen Horror
Cast Members of Note- The young and Swedish talents of Kare Hedebrant and Lina Leandersson.

This is the story of 12-year-old Oskar who is bullied by his classmates on a daily basis, adding to the growing pains that normal adolescents have to endure; and Eli, who is also 12 (more or less) and is suffering some growing pains of her own... mainly because she's a Vampire.

When Eli catches Oskar stabbing a tree, the two begin a friendship that involves blood, murder and all sorts of other creepy shit. Really though, a 12-year-old kid stabbing a tree and asking it "are you looking at me?" is the creepiest thing of all.

I don't want to spoil too much, but I will say that Sweden is pretty cool, and swimming pools can be pretty dangerous.

Not gonna lie, Oskar is kinda creepy.
Lat Den Ratte Komma In is sweet, disturbing, sad, brutal, beautiful, shocking, and an overall inspired film. I dare say that it's a work of art. Everything about it was perfect to me; from the camera work, to the story; the mood, to the acting. This is a Vampire movie, and it has a ton of Horror elements about it, but it's also a coming of age tale. In fact at times, I felt as if I wasn't watching a Horror movie at all. There are some elements of the story that I'd really like to discuss and comment on, but that would spoil some things that don't deserve to be spoiled. I will say that this movie surprised me on many different levels.

Aww, young love.
It's amazing to me how a Horror movie made in 2008 can be so effective and not be packed with jump-scares, quick-cut scares, lame characters, nonsensical situations, a twist ending, a jump-cut-quick-scare twist ending... oh wait, this wasn't made in Hollywood, that's why it's lacking all of the familiar lame elements that plague so many of today's Horror movies.

It's not totally Hollywood's fault that they pump out unoriginal fare on the reg; American audiences are fairly simple-minded when it comes to their entertainment, and they like it simple, and familiar... that's why we'll have Saw 14 eventually. 'Murica!

Horror flick, love story, coming of age story, Vampire movie... Let the Right One In is all of those, and a lot more. You really need to see it to understand. And for the record, I absolutely loved the last 15 minutes of this movie. I actually cheered.

I really did cheer.
The worst part about this movie was that it ended. I wish it had been three hours long instead of two.

"This is cube of Rubik, you will make play?"
Not even a year old, and Hollywood already wants to remake this movie. Can't the morons who green light movies just release this one as is, instead of remaking what is already damn near perfect? Of course not. Assholes.

This picture is a metaphor for how we feel about Hollywood, and many of their poor decisions.
Bloodletting, blood drinking, acid eaten faces, severed limbs, people bursting into flames... this movie has its fair share of gore.

But why aren't they swimming?
Oddly enough, we get to see a 12-year-old's hooha... and I'm truly hoping that it was CGI.

"I'm 12... more or less."

Childhood sucks. Also, don't ever break into a Vampire's apartment... even in the daylight. Also, bullies never win.

Eli wins though. She wins big.
This movie is a modern day masterpiece, and one of the best movies of the year, and not just of the Horror variety. You owe it to yourself to see this as soon as possible. Don't wait for the remake, because it will pale in comparison to this film. Trust me. Now go watch this Swedish gem!

A+

Let the Right One In is available now on Blu-ray, DVD,. and VOD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001MYIXAW/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001MYIXAW&linkCode=as2&tag=thehorclu0a-20&linkId=EXW5HBMTLNLT4KZV

Brilliant.

8 comments :

  1. The anticipation to see this movie is killing me. It doesn't get a dvd release in the uk til march, so i just bought the book. I fucking fell in love with it bigtime. Hell, i'm even rereading it the same day i finished it.
    I can't fucking wait to see the end on screen. Your right Sweden does rock and i might take a sauna out of sheer respect for the story.
    btw..love yer fucking site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with you on that one. The book as a bit different... but the film was still aces.

    The whole pedophile thing is played way down, as is the boy/girl identity thing (I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't seen/read it.)

    Brilliant.

    I so need to visit Europe... Between the Brits, Swedes, French... I'm loving what I'm seeing/reading from them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow this movie is really, really good, a 10/10 movie for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this movie was preety good the ending made me stand up and cheer
    overall very good
    the bully voice made me punch the screen several times

    ReplyDelete
  5. As long as you don't compare every scene with the book, this movie is pretty awesome. The book is better, yes, but I really enjoyed this film!

    ReplyDelete
  6. finding this movie was a really amazing thing for me - i enjoyed it so much and still do!

    finding this website is even better - thanks to all of you for this brilliant place to go and review movies and laugh , etc

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you found and loved this flick, Anon, it's definitely a good one.

    And I'm glad that you laugh when you come here, because that is half of what we love to do.. talk like fools :)

    ReplyDelete