*As always, be sure to click the pics to order yourself some flicks, or watch their trailers.
Howl isn't going to change the Genre or anything, but overall it's a well-made and entertaining werewolf flick that boasts some good gore; some cool monster FX; and a solid cast, most of whom we actually rooted for. For fans of werewolf flicks, this is a fun and gory ride that is definitely worth taking.
This is probaby a disc that we'd buy, especially at the current $12.99 price point.
Even though The Martian is a great pure Sci-Fi movie, we were surprised at how funny it was; we expected this one to be intense, action-packed, and maybe even emotional... but funny? At 78, Ridley Scott still knows how to make enjoyable movies on an epic scale, and this one is definitely that.
The Blu-ray is nearly perfect as far as the Audio/Video goes, and it's packed with a tons of Special Features, most of which are worth exploring. This is probably the stand-out Blu-ray release of 2016 so far, and one that we'll happy to have in our collection
- Signal Acquired: Writing and Direction.
- Occupy Mars: Casting and Costumes.
- 5 Theatrical In-World Pieces.
- Ares III: Refocused.
- Gag Reel.
- Production Gallery.
Not as good as the first one, but way better than most critics gave it credit for (it earned a horrid 14% on Rotten Tomatoes), Sinister 2 is a sequel that is a bit light on the scares, but big on ideas and character. We really liked James Ransone in the lead role, and the background that we got on Bughuul and his potential origins sucked us in and made us want more.
If you liked the first one, then temper your expectations a bit and give this one a go. It makes for a nice companion piece, if nothing else.
- Extended Kill Films.
- Time to Watch Another: The Making of Sinister 2.
- Feature Commentary with Director Ciaran Foy.
- Contracted: Phase 2 was a bit lackluster, but might be worth a look for hardcore fans of the first one.
- Hotel Transylvania 2 is a great movie for the kids.
- The Martian also comes in a 3D version, although I personally can't stand 3D at home; I have 4 pairs of passive 3D glasses that just sit there, mocking me.
- Mr. Robot was a really solid TV show, and one that has us anxious for Season 2 to get here.
- Paranormal Activity: The Ghost Dimension was... a typical part 6 in a Horror series, which is to say that it wasn't very good. Check out our review HERE for the full scoop.
- The Stanford Prison Experiment is one that we haven't seen, but really want to. It looks great, got some solid reviews, and so we're going to have to add that to our viewing list pretty quick here.
- Everything else, as always, is a crap-shoot.