August 16, 2016

The Blackcoat's Daughter gets pushed back to 2017?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3286052/
Every year there are a bunch of great (sometimes excellent) Genre movies that hit The Festival Circuit, garner all kinds of praise from those lucky enough to see them, and then they see some sort of release down the road, usually by the end of the year. 

Some of those highly-praised movies also get shelved, sitting in limbo, release date after release date coming and going, with no end in sight.

The Blackcoat's Daughter is now one of those movies.

WE'RE NOT HAPPY ABOUT IT EITHER, EMMA.
It was originally slated to hit DirecTV on July 15th. Then, it was pushed back to August 25th (DirecTV), ahead of a September 30th limited theatrical run. Now, The Blackcoat's Daughter has been pushed back once again to an undetermined date in 2017, which is really some bullshit of the highest order.

I can understand why movies get pushed back over and over again, or even shelved, when they're complete shit. In fact, the more delays a movie is subject to, that's usually the case. Satanic, Amityville: The Awakening, Rings, and Before I Wake are good examples of this. 

The Blackcoat's Daughter is a good movie though, and dare we say, an excellent one. It's a slow-burn, and it's probably not going to break Box Office records when it is finally released, but it's a well-made and solidly-engaging Thriller that we loved from the get-go. Why it keeps getting treated like a mangy dog is beyond us.

Remember how long it took Trick 'r Treat, You're Next, The Cabin in the Woods, The Green Inferno, or All the Boys Love Mandy Lane to be released after successful Festival runs?

Treating a movie like this, and especially a good one, is absolutely counter-productive to it having any sort of successful release. The only way this could be acceptable is if A24 realizes that they have a great movie on their hands, and are pushing it back to set up a wide theatrical release, to really give it a chance to shine.

My guess though is that it will finally hit VOD in way-too-quiet fashion, and will fade away into obscurity.

It really is a crying shame.

http://thehorrorclub.blogspot.com/2016/07/vod-review-blackcoats-daughter-2016.html

7 comments :

  1. Wow, I thought this was already released.
    I have my "ways" to get these movies, so I don't usually need to wait.
    I already watched this one.
    But I have been waiting for some for awhile, like Everlasting, which you guys have already reviewed, but it's listed as just being completed. Maybe there have been changes made since the festivals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got lucky with Everlasting. The director got ahold of me and asked me if I wanted a screener. It was supposed to be out by now... not sure what happened.

      Lots of"Festival" flicks get the shaft when it comes to being released.

      Delete
    2. Man, I wish you guys lived near me, I would be your new best friend, lol.

      If only people would send me screeners!

      There is only one post on IMDB, some guy saying how he hates FF movies, and shaky cam. Is Everlasting FF? I read that there are clips played during it, but was just wondering.

      Hey, also, the pic that shows the Netflix logo, it has what looks like a mom and 2 kids with her and they are standing in water, what movie is that from?

      Delete
    3. I can see 8 Mile road from the end of my street. Friendship is tough around here lol

      It is not Found Footage at all.

      The Blob 1988

      Delete
    4. Damn, you're in the 'hood, lol.
      My co-worker lived right in there.

      The Blob?? Ahhh, I see, where they are in the sewers, after the movie theater? From the way the top part is black it looks like they are in some lake in the woods.

      Delete
    5. Ok, so I've watched this twice now and fell asleep both times, woke up, went back, then fell asleep again. Not because it's boring, I was just tired I guess. There are parts that I don't get but I'm sure that it's just becuase I have yet to complete it all the way through.
      Does this movie take place in 2 different timelines? Like is there part of it that happens in the past or future> Or is it all during the same weekend break? If the movie answers this, then don't tell me, I'll rewatch it sooner or later.

      Delete
  2. Hood fo sho :)

    The movie answers all of your questions. I will say no more.

    ReplyDelete