October 17, 2012

31 Days Review: Excision (2012)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1984153/
Excision's premise is an interesting one; the film depicts the life of a disturbed and delusional High School Student with aspirations of a career in medicine and the extremes to which she goes to earn the approval of her controlling mother. She fantasizes about performing surgery on the other students.

Excision is also a pretty film, with some gorgeous dream/fantasy sequences that are filled with all sorts of bloody carnage. It's an impressive little package that delivers a bunch of good things to we, the viewer... and yet, we really didn't care.

I'm going to say that I personally was probably not in the frame of mind I needed to be in to appreciate a movie like Excision; a few minutes into the flick, I said to those around me "Is this a John Waters flick?," and then I popped onto IMDB to check. No, it wasn't one of Waters' crazy oddities... and yet he was in it. Coincidence? Methinks not.

What craziness is this?
Excision feels like an old-school campy cult flick like Heathers, which is normally a good thing in my book, but it just rubbed me the wrong way. I think it's a good flick, and lots of our peeps will like it.

Since I know it's a decent flick even though I didn't care for it, I think a C grade is fair. Middle of the road. Maybe one day I'll re-watch this movie when I'm in the right frame of mind, and I'll end up liking it. Until then, I hope it gets the love it deserves from elsewhere.

C

http://amzn.to/1M1qv0C

Annalynne McCord + Traci Lords = double perfection.

No comments :

Post a Comment